Judith Taylor of Houzz presents "12 Key Decorating Tips to Make Any Room Better," that prove helpful whether you're looking to improve your home or considering preparing it for a sale.
As Taylor first explains, people who specialize in home decor "are creative types by nature and love to imagine, dream and explore," but there are a few "tried and true things that work" no matter your creative/design skill level.
Here five of our favorite tips:
1. Wait to choose your paint color to make sure that you not only pick a color that suits your home, but that complements all the items you plan to put in it.
2. Find a piece to serve as your focal point and allow the rest to complement it. As Taylor says, "your focal point might be a dramatic hood in the kitchen, a mantel and art piece in the living room or a headboard in the bedroom." What you choose is open to interpretation, just ensure that you "choose something that will draw attention."
3. Don't be afraid to be bold because it creates personality. The article describes that it is important to "incorporate unexpected elements for drama" in order to personalize and create a unique space that people will appreciate.
4. Hang your artwork so that the center is approximately 57 inches from the floor. Why? As Taylor writes, "the average human eye level is 57 inches," so it offers the perfect height for you and your guests to enjoy your pieces.
5. Give yourself permission to be creative. While following creative principles can be helpful, just "go with something personal that makes you smile and, above all, is comfortable." If you do, you're sure to end up with a space you (or a potential buyer) will love.